Free “Yoga for Singers” class
Thursday June 20th @ 7:00 pm
Seattle Pacific University
Crawford Music Building room 201
Yoga can be beneficial for singers since it focuses on restoring our bodies’ natural alignment, combining deep breathing with poses that build strength, balance, and flexibility. Yoga also challenges us to let go of competition and judgment, two things that singers often struggle with in our hyper-competitive world. This is the final session in of a series of community yoga classes I’ve offered as part of my yoga instructor certification.
Our goals in this yoga practice session are:
- Explore different breathing patterns to release tension and increase lung capacity
- Connect breath with movement
- Focus on restoring healthy body alignment
- Practice being “in the moment” — letting go of expectation, judgment, and competition
This class is FREE to Seattle-area singers! Pre-registration is required because space is limited. (Registration form is at the bottom of this page.)
- The yoga session begins promptly at 7pm and lasts for 60 minutes. Please arrive a few minutes early to check-in and get situated.
- Participants are welcome to stay afterward to experiment with their voices and learn to incorporate some of these yoga techniques into their vocal warm-ups.
What to wear:
Wear snug but non-binding clothing that you can move freely in. (We may be doing some mild inversions so wear clothing that will preserve your modesty if you’re upside down.) We practice yoga barefoot, so be prepared to be shoeless & sockless.
What to bring:
- A thin fitness (yoga/pilates) mat. If you don’t have one, a limited number will be available for rental for a $2 fee.
- Many people like to have a small towel handy as palms and feet can get sweaty.
- Water bottles are welcome and encouraged.
What to expect:
This is a “multi-level” class: No prior yoga experience is necessary. I’ll be presenting poses in their simplest forms and offering modification options for people who would like a bit more challenge.
Health issues & body awareness: Yoga is all about letting go of competition, judgment, and expectations – freeing you to be honest with yourself about your capabilities in a given moment.
Registration is now closed.